Friday, November 7, 2008

Any Day Can Be Arbor Day!

I'm not sure whether nearly clear-cutting my 2 acre back yard has got me on a kick to plant some more trees again this year, or if it was the cute girl at Lowes tonight who was moving discounted saplings outside of the garden center that caught my eye... But one thing's for sure- I had to get a closer look... at the trees... :-)

Last year I planted 5 Pin Oaks, and 1 Red Oak. I don’t spend the big bucks on big trees… matter of fact, I don’t think I spent a dime on them at all- I think that credit goes to my parents- but at any rate, I have these little 5-7 foot trees scattered around my back yard looking like glorified twigs.

My side yard is barren and I have a great view of my neighbor’s house and barking dog every time I sit on the deck, so I’ve been pondering what kind of stuff to plant down near the creek that will hopefully grow up in the coming years and block their house from my view.

Tonight, much to my surprise, being drug out to the curb at throw-away prices of $9.98 each was 2 River Birch trees PERFECT for that wet location, along with a great condition Red Oak, and something I have never heard of, but looked cool- a Flame Amur Maple. With a name like "Flame" I figured it couldn't be all that bad, and this maple apparently is more of a decorative one that only gets to be about 20 foot tall. So I figure I’d give it a shot... and if I didn’t like it, I’m certainly no stranger to a chainsaws and bonfires!

Whether or not I’ll be in my home in 10-20 years to see the true beauty of all these little trees growing is really unknown. If I had my choice, I’d be going down South, or West, or any combination thereof twice a year and planting and taking care of some 40 acres on a lake or creek preparing my retirement property for my log cabin on the perfect lot… But for now, I suppose getting my yard ready for the next person will have to be good enough. Who knows, one less truck a year and I might even have a picnic table and a patio to put beside these twigs. :-)

No comments: