Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tying Up The Loose Ends

I took the next couple of nights off. Work continued to be hell, and I wasn't going to put myself through another arduous evening like I had on the gas gauge and wiring. As luck would have it, last Friday evening the sun was shining, the weather was warm, and I was ready to have a little fun with the small, simple things left to do on Jack.

I had yet to put the interior rubber floor mat in, and the minute I opened it up, I was initially impressed with it just like the others. It was in fact rubber, and not vinyl like the one from ACC interiors that I put into Minty. Minty’s floor mat had a lot going for it however in comparison to this one- it was oversized, no cut-outs, had to be trimmed for the perfect fit and went all the way under the seat and up to the rear wall, but it also cost a small fortune at nearly twice the price as the rubber one.

This one was JUST like the original used in the base model trucks. Even the grain pattern was a dead match! Being rubber, it absolutely flopped into place without having to work it at all! Best of all, it had cut-outs for the transmission shifter, transfer case shifter, e-brake floor plate, clutch rod, headlight dimmer switch, and accelerator pedal. The downside? They were all cut approximately ¾ of an inch to the right and back. ARGH!!!! I can make do though, if I move the rubber boots for the tranny and transfer case on top of the mat instead of under them, you won’t be able to tell at all I suppose.

After that was done, I started on the front end. Two things needed changed out there: The turn signals, and the grill inserts. After all, Jack needed to be a ’73, not a ’76 anymore. I did one side at a time, pulling NOS inserts and turn signals from my stockpile of 30+ year old parts in the basement I have collected over the years. I have held onto those two particular items for over 8 years now knowing and hoping someday I would use them on the right truck. Looks like I finally got my chance to.

To top it all off, years ago I had located a set of Kelsey Hayes 16.5 x 9.75 steel factory wheels for the '76. 'er '73.. 'er… umm... well, whichever. They needed to be painted up argent grey silver for the finishing touches on making the truck look like it rolled off the factory line as-is. I really wanted to hold true, short of the white letter tires, that this truck *could* have come exactly as it was in appearance directly from the factory.

I called it an early, relaxing night, let the paint dry on the wheels, and woke up bright an early Saturday to get the tires that Stu in all practicality GAVE to me (you da’ man!!!) and had them mounted and balanced onto the wheels.

I got home, and only 32 lug nuts were keeping me from having this month-or-so long phase-1 project completed…

No comments: