Monday, November 3, 2008

Done!



Welp, in a little over a month, the work on Jack is essentially done for phase-1. What’s phase-1 you ask?

Well, I REALLY wanted to do a "refresh" job like I did on Minty- not quite a full restoration, but clean, paint, seal, recondition, etc, where I’d have a super nice truck when I was done.

I knew Jack would require fabrication, and just like with Minty, I learned a valuable lesson. When repainting and restoring parts and doing fabrication at the same time, it seems like you’re always going over and doing the same painting and cleaning twice. You inevitably scratch and damage the work you've already done, so there is a lot to be said for assembling it first and getting the kinks worked out, and then going back over it AGAIN taking it apart knowing everything will already fit and bolt together perfectly.

So I have to purge my soul a little bit in saying that the main intention of doing what I did as fast as I could was for a few reasons:

Winter is coming, and I didn’t want to be doing this once it got cold
I didn’t want to have 2 trucks sitting around in multiple pieces
If I wouldn’t have taken them apart, one would have had to sit outside all winter
I don’t have the money to do it the right way, right now anyway…
And lastly, I can sell off some of the old parts for $$$ :-)

So having said all that, I know at least now its presentable. Also, it’s a heck of a lot nicer than what it was too, and I’m overly critical for sure.... Whenever I sell Minty, get a big raise, or a few years go by, I’ll have it torn down once again, get all the dings and dents pushed out, repainted, do the chassis right, all new interior, and do a true restoration. Until then, here are some pictures to drool over.

Stay tuned for the truck party!

No comments: