Sunday, November 9, 2008

New Garage Toy

Well, inevitably, each of my weekends seems to end up costing me money. More money than I have, and money that it takes for a “too good to be true” deal that presents itself to me.

My buddy Jared said something once that made me laugh when he was talking about leveling out my yard… “Sometimes you just gotta make dirt”. What he meant by that was digging out dirt and filling with something else in the ground, then using that dirt to smooth out the top and have something that looks great on the surface with all the nasty buried underneath.

See, I kind of think that’s a lot like money! I have a lot of nice things, but also sometimes you just have to suck it up, and figure out a way to make money no matter what gets buried underneath.
I received a phone call Friday at work about a guy who was selling all his possessions and moving south. All envy aside, one of the items he had for sale was an adjustable gantry crane.

“Supposedly” this crane was in like new condition, hardly used, was 8 foot 8 inches wide, from 8 foot to 14 foot tall, and had a capacity of 2000 lbs. Also included was the 3 ton overhead chain hoist, trolley carrier, and a DIRT CHEAP price tag. Normally, without said trolley and chain hoist, this particular model goes for $1800 bucks.

Today, it wasn’t 20% off, it wasn’t 30% off, it wasn’t even 50% off.. It was an obnoxious get it the hell out of here 75% off! All I know is I was darn tired of rolling the truck back and forth in the garage, trying to push and pull the bed into position, and worried about doing damage to the roof of the garage all at the same time.

If I said this would be the last truck I’d be removing a cab, bed, engine, axle, etc from, ya’ll know I was nuts. The gantry was already a done-deal and I had to have it. What I don't have to have is groceries for another few weeks, gasoline, electricity....help....

No comments: